Friday, October 15, 2010

It's October already!

It’s October all ready and I have been very busy.  I have been working on Halloween table runners which are turning out cute but not ready for prime time yet.  I have also been busy with embroidery for customer and for gifts.   I have this habit of trying to do multiple projects at once and am at it again. I whipped together 40 batik nine patch blocks for a nine patch swap the week after I returned from Denmark. I knew about the swap before I left but did not think I had time to participate.  While I was playing catch up on my email, I discovered that the group had extended the deadline by two weeks so now...I might just have enough time to pull it off.  So when I started to look at fabric for my "Begining Quilt blocks" class, I decided that I had time and bought extra fabric. I thought it would never hurt me to practice a nine patch block or 40 nine patch blocks.

I sent two packages of twenty blocks each.   And a week or so later, I received a package with 40 wonderful batik nine patch blocks.  When I assemble the blocks, you will see the end results.  I'll take a few photo's of the blocks I received so you can see what I got in return and what I will be working with for my next blog....  

I have been working with Susie Fox at a new Crystal Lake quilt shop called “The Material Girl”. I am putting together a Beginning Quilting Class.  We will do 4 basic blocks starting with the fence rail block.  Then the next class will cover the Nine Patch block.  The third class will cover the Pinwheel block . And the last class a Log Cabin block.  The students will make 8 each of the four different blocks which will help them to remember the process of making the block with practice ( times 8!). We will meet for a fifth class and assemble the sampler with sashing and borders.  The classes will be on Sunday afternoon from 1 PM to 3PM and begin in mid November and run until the weekend before Christmas.  We will not meet on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend. 

Now I am writing directions and getting ready. I am really looking forward to it.  There is nothing better than teaching something new to someone.  The look on some ones face when they “get it” brings a smile to my face!

Happy sewing until next time!

Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment