Saturday, August 8, 2020

Covid-19 Quilts and more...

 It has been quite a year so far in 2020.  Who would have guessed a year ago that today we would all be wearing masks when ever we enter a store... All entertainment events; concerts, sporting events, Summer town festivals  ...everything has been canceled.  For good reason, as of today we have had 96,328 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Michigan and 6520 deaths.  In the United states the number are over 5 Million cases and 161,000 deaths.  Just staggering...I would never have believed it a year ago if you had told me this...

SO having said that...I have been sewing and sewing.  I think I have a few things I can show you.

This is a quilt that I made for my nephew who graduated from high school this spring. I started it on the weekend before the state was shut down in Mid March. This quilt is called "Nolan's Catch". A few years back Nolan was fishing during our annual camping trip to Sand Lake and the resident eagle followed him all over the lake watching his stringer of fish.  When Nolan pulled the Kayak up to get out of the water, the eagle decided it was time for dinner.  It swooped down to the water trying to get Nolan's catch. Needless to say Nolan was startled but was able to save his catch. So I added a surprise to the back of the quilt.



This was my Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt that was started after Thanksgiving 2019 and finished during our state "stay at home " order. I usually do not start Bonnie's mystery quilts because the holidays are just so hectic. I usually save all the clues and start it on New Years or just after.  But this year I decided to try it because I was really motivated by the colors and she promised that the clues would be smaller projects and she would extend the clues out into the new year.  I did a pretty good job of keeping up.  When I got to the reveal, I was not really happy with the border she picked.  SO I decided to wait and watch for a while and see what the other quilters decided to do.  This is the border I decided on and I love it. I have not taking this to the quilter yet.. This one is call "Frolic on Lake Huron".


This was a SewQuester quilt by Cozy Quilt designs started in the middle of the "Stay at Home" Order. My sisters and I all decided to do this quilt.  It was so fun because we all have different taste in fabric and different amounts of "stash".  They all turned out beautiful!  We all finished a few weeks apart. I finished mine up as the state was beginning to open up.  The process for this quilt was much like a mystery quilt because each week or two we got a new set of instructions for the week.  When this reveal was done...I decided on a different border again.  The truth be told, I got carried away when I was making my half square triangle. I just went upstairs each night and mindlessly kept making them.  So I decided turn all these into quarter triangle square. What else would I have used all the extra the half square triangles for?   So I added them to the border. I also want the quilt to fit nicely on a queen bed so it needed to be a bit bigger. I have gotten this one quilted but have not put binding on it yet. This quilt is called "Summer Breeze".


This one was completed last fall and I sent it off to the quilter this spring. I made this one for my bed. That's a funny statement because I make a lot of them for my bed because I love variety BUT....this one was really made for my bed. I love log cabins. It was the first block I learned and when I saw this in a magazine last summer I knew I had to make it for me. I had bought jelly rolls on clearance of this fabric and they would work perfect for this project.  I have given all my other Log cabins quilts away.  I am keeping this one.  It's call "Charlotte Takes the Train" The original quilt name in the magazine was "Charlotte"  and my fabric is travel related with train tickets on one of the fabrics.  The border also reminded me of a train track. 

This one was a quilt that I made late last summer.  It was a "Buddy Quilt".  My "Buddy" was my sister, Sue.  Her quilt is the opposite of mine.  Her's is black in the center.  then gold, then green and the outside rows are red. When I finished this, the black was just too stark for me.  I have never made a black quilt before...and was not sure how much I liked it. So I sat on it for a while to see if I could figure out how I could soften it some so I would like it better.  And this is what I decided on...and now I love it!  This one remains unnamed. It will speak to me in time and I'll know what to call it. 

It has been a long time since I posted here.  I'll try to do it more often.  This could have been five posts but instead it was one. I am still posting on my other blogs weekly.

Notice the difference in the grass..I always take my photos in about the same place. We have had hot stretches this summer with little rain. Now we have a large brown patch that I tried to cover with this quilt!

Hope you enjoyed this. Happy sewing to you too!

Love Jan


No comments:

Post a Comment